A Sense Of Normalcy

Windsor High School and Middle School students are now attending school four days a week.

McKenna Casey, Editor-in-Chief

While February is a month traditionally related to relationships and the celebration of human connection, Windsor High School will be experiencing its own sort of celebration this month.

For the foreseeable future, the high school and middle school will join its younger sibling schools in having the entire student body attend classes, starting February 1. The school board locked in its position during a meeting in the middle of January, the previous decision to not return to 4-days a week in November was also determined this way. They are much more confident with the choice now, almost a year since students were initially sent home to ensure a safe and proper learning environment. Other high schools in the local area have already returned to 4-days a week while Windsor was holding off to observe how they integrated the change.

Despite the school’s confidence in sanitation, many students are nervous about returning. One senior, Matt Marlow, has been particularly vocal about his concerns.

“The decision… does not take into consideration the closeness of students during full time. The hallways are too narrow and the classrooms are too small to contain the amount of kids safely,” Marlow said.

This opinion is actually shared by several other students who have seen the way their peers act about wearing masks during passing time and during class time. Freshmen Olivia Limpart is one of these students.

Limpart said, “There are plenty of people at our school who have compromised immune systems, teachers and student alike. While, yes, people will get COVID and get quarantined, we shouldn’t just rush head first. There are plenty of students as well who don’t wear their mask or who don’t wear it correctly who also don’t social distance.”

She insists on caution and thoroughness to prevent the school population from suffering at the hands of the fast-spreading COVID-19 virus. Limpart would rather the school focus on being “safe than sorry” to ensure the students are getting both education and remaining safe.

Junior Ethan Meece and Limpart both agree about the cons of going back to 4-days, Meece is much more optimistic than his underclassman.

“My main concern is if we end up going back to full-online,” Meece said. “I personally think we should’ve been going four days a long time ago. We’re going two days anyway, so four days would only be more beneficial for everyone who learns better in person.”

Many students have been suffering lack of socialization and class time with their teachers. Any students who had new teachers have been unable to form the same bonds as they would have had the school been 4-days a week.

Marlow agrees that this ultimatum of returning to school in what could be unsafe conditions in favor of better education opportunities is not a choice a parent should be forced into making.

With a student population of just over 900 and many students still going all virtual, Windsor will have an easier transition to accommodating the students than, say, Fox or Seckman, but can any district really be ready when it comes to COVID-19?

Hopefully, the high school is able to enter 4-days a week with no large bumps and the integration will be successful, especially for the class of 2021 who have lost roughly half of their high school experience. Some semblance of “normal” could be the best Valentine’s present for these students in spite of the circumstances.

“If we’re careful enough,” Limbart said, “it could work.”