Happel Commits To St Charles Community College

The senior led the Owls in most offensive categories last season.

Noah Barnes, Staff Writer

The 2022 baseball MVP of the Jefferson County conference will have a new home in the fall of 2023. 

Senior Austin Happel has committed to play baseball at St. Charles Community College next year. 

As a junior, Happel had led the Owls with a .402 batting average, 29 runs batted in, and four home runs. On the mound, Happel was 6-1 with a 2.27 ERA. Happel has aspirations to play more than just two years of college baseball. 

Happel said, “I would like to play D1 after SCC and would love to bat over .400 and have a winning record.”

Happel hopes to thrive in St. Charles. 

Happel said, “Their baseball team is pretty good. Last year they won 30 games, which they haven’t done in a long time. I do believe that they will be just as good these next few years as well.”

When making the decision for the college he wanted to attend, the location was extremely important to him. 

Happel said, “SCC is close to home and I loved the facility and coaches. I can still come see family whenever I want and hangout with friends from high school.” 

His Windsor teammates know what type of leader St. Charles is getting. 

Senior Quinton Peterson said, “He is a leader on and off the field and he holds his teammates accountable. He’s one of the most mature, dedicated and determined people I have ever met and is just a great person overall.” 

Happel is not done making memories at Windsor. The Owls will return much of their team that went 19-12 last season. 

Happel said, “My favorite memory is beating Desoto 3-0 in districts. I threw a no hitter and hit a home run in the first inning and a double in the 4th inning.”