The election season is near the end–finally

The presidential election will be held on Tuesday, November 8.

Donald+Trump+is+the+next+President+of+the+United+States.+

Donald Trump is the next President of the United States.

Alex Crump, Staff Writer

With only a day to go until election day, people are finally ready to cast their ballots this Tuesday, November 8, and finally end this seemingly endless election season. A new aspect to this election, however, is that this is the first election in which millennials will outnumber baby boomers in terms of the overall eligible voter population. And this year many of Windsor’s seniors will be among those new millennial voters. Although, not all seem particularly excited or eager to exercise this newly-acquired privilege.

“I hate this election,” Windsor High School senior class president Stephen Brooks said. “It’s like having to choose between a renowned mob boss or a psychopath.”

This attitude of cynicism towards both major candidates is a commonly shared sentiment by many Americans young and old alike, and this year in particular. According to the rolling averages of most major polling organizations, Donald Trump is the most disliked major party presidential nominee in recent political history, facing record-breaking unfavorability numbers. And probably much to Trump’s dismay, his overall unfavorability is even higher among the same young Americans and millennials that now make up the majority of the voting population.

“If your idea of free speech is misogynistic, racist bullying is okay to propagate, then by all means, vote for the man who will then have the power and legal means behind him to enact his racist and religious bias, and his assault on women,” senior Laura Rich said  about Donald Trump.

On the Democratic side, Hillary Clinton is also one of the least liked Democratic nominees the polls have ever shown, with many viewing her as untrustworthy, and even more so with the recent emails that have been released by WikiLeaks. Also, very similar to Trump, young voters (and many of them former supporters of Bernie Sanders) have been surprisingly reluctant to lend their support to her.

“I do not trust her or her ability to be the president of the United States,” senior Tony Koudys said. “I feel like she isn’t trustworthy enough for such a position, and she doesn’t actually strike me as loyal, either.”

By Tuesday night, America should know who will be its next president. If there’s one theme that most Americans can agree on, across party lines, is that in this election season, expect the unexpected.