Writing For A Purpose

Several Windsor students attempt to reach a word count of 50,000 words.

Kayla Moore, Staff Writer

NaNoWriMo is a nonprofit writing organization that allows students to write a novel during the month of November for National Novelist Writing Month. Students are required to set their own word  count and reach it by the end of the month; in order to get discounts through the NaNoWriMo website, the word count of 50,000 must be reached. Although it seems like a difficult task, several students have the ambition to reach it.

Sophomore Alexis Russell said, “I’ve been procrastinating, but I could get 50,000 words if I really crammed.”

Others plan on using their holiday break to get their word count up.

Gavin Graves said, “I think I have a pretty good shot at reaching my word count, especially with Thanksgiving break coming up.”

NaNoWriMo gives people the opportunity to reach goals, form creativity and interact with others that have the same interests.

Sophomore Mackenzie Phares said, “My book is about a boy who has schizophrenia and an identity disorder. He had a really bad childhood and is just finding out he has all of these mental illnesses and it’s kind of a horror story.”

The writing has been encouraged by librarian Rebecca Zwetow.

Junior Tyler Gray said, “I was in a writing club last year and Mrs. Zwetow told us about NaNoWriMo; I enjoy doing it and plan on writing more books in the future.”

Zwetow said, “I am very proud of the students for writing their own books; I’ve seen some really impressive kids publish their book and continue to be writers.”

In order to enter NaNoWriMo, participants can sign up through the NaNoWriMo website. (http://nanowrimo.org ) Students come up with a title for their book and write a synopsis, then on November 20-30 they paste their entire story onto the website. NaNoWriMo also offers various programs within its website to give young authors the proper tools and resources they need. In a 2013 independent study, 87 percent of students participants in the Young Writers Program said that it made them more confident writers.

Teacher Kristy Pardeck said, “I think it’s neat that students are doing NaNoWriMo and I hope they can reach their word counts.”