Improv Completes Another Successful Year

In mid-November, the Improv show took place at Windsor High School.

Abby Young, Staff Editor

The Improv club held their annual shows on November 16-18. The show’s theme this year was music, featuring skits based off popular songs such as the Matchbox Twenty song, “3AM.” Another skit, titled “One Hit Wonder Club,” showcased several radio hits over the years.

This year the show included an audience participation skit in which the audience sent in text messages on their phone to the performers using the predictive speech feature on their phone.

Improv leader Tyler Lingle said, “We were able to actually incorporate more of improv-y stuff this year, with the audience participation, which made every show different, instead of making it sketch comedy. It made it more of an improv show.”

The club’s sponsor, Whitney Crabtree, as well as the audience, enjoyed a skit titled “Brunch Time” the most. Crabtree said this was her personal favorite.

Senior Heather Yates, however, said, “My favorite skit was Tai Chi, but I loved the whole show. I was laughing so hard it brought tears to my eyes.”

There were numerous newcomers to the club this year, including freshman Gavin Ross, sophomores Katie Robinson, Elizabeth Eisenhower, Mike Najjar and seniors Gabriel Welch and Kyle Curran.

Lingle said, “Our newcomers did an amazing job in their first year. The underclassmen stuck out this year a lot, especially considering that we had a bunch of seniors, and they rose to the challenge of fighting the seniors in being funny.”

“They were creative, and they could adjust to certain situations pretty well,” Crabtree said.

Crabtree encourages more people to come and try out for Improv. The Improv season runs from September-November. 

“You don’t have to be funny to be in Improv–you just have to be willing to put yourself out there and not be embarrassed about too many things. Whether or not you’re funny doesn’t really matter that much, as long as you have quick timing and can quickly pick up on what other people are doing, then you’d be good for Improv,” Crabtree said.