Playing A Lead Role: Christmas At Windsor Castle

Trent Deevers enjoyed his time as a lead actor in Christmas at Windsor Castle.

Trent Deevers, playing William Shakespeare, and Harrison Stoudt receive a refill during the performance.

Trent Deevers, Editor-in-Chief

When English teacher Elaine Geimer first told me I would be playing a lead role in a show that I didn’t want to be in to begin with, I was less than stoked. I just wanted my senior year to be a quiet time of running lights and sound at the show, but obviously Mrs. Geimer had other plans. I begrudgingly began to memorize my lines, but my attitude began to change after our first group table read. Until then I was just reading lines to myself, but now I was in a group of my close friends all making fun of our characters and lines, changing my view of playing William Shakespeare.

During the performances, Mrs. Geimer told me to write notes to audience and cast members as William, to give my character an extra layer of realism and that was by far my favorite part of the shows. I made drawings and jokes and sent them to everyone I knew, and everyone loved it. The one interaction I remember most was Sunday night when Lailah Alvarado came with Maddy Wolcott, both of whom I know, and Lailah asked me to write her a sonnet. A Shakespearean sonnet is comprised of 14 lines with 10 syllables per line, and it has to follow a specific rhyme scheme. Keeping that in mind during the middle of the show, I sat at my podium trying to write a sonnet while keeping track of what’s going on while reading my lines. I finished it in roughly 30 minutes and I was pleased overall with it, but the way I gave it to her is what made it so memorable. During my main monologue, I walked over to her table and talked like I was addressing her table. As I turned to walk away, I tossed the little folded up sonnet that I had hidden in the palm of my hand onto the table. Evidently, she thought it was so funny that she began to cry with laughter.

As much as I’d like to say that the actors, the band, or the choir made Windsor Castle great, what truly made it great was the combined effort of Mrs. Geimer, Mrs. Kelly Stockwell, Mrs. Casey Willenbrock, Mr. Michael Sellman, Dr. Julie Schubert, Mrs. Kristine Miller, and all of the custodians who worked to make it all happen. Mrs. Geimer spent countless hours putting together a fantastic script while organizing the absolute madhouse that somehow came together at the 11th hour. Mrs. Stockwell was an amazing aide to Mrs. Geimer, and she took charge in several areas of production that allowed everything to run smoothly. Mrs. Willenbrock delivered an amazing meal, as always, and selected an excellent wait staff. Mr. Sellman directed a stellar choir, and was instrumental in organizing all of the unruly actors. Dr. Schubert and Mrs. Miller conducted a spectacular band, giving the show a wonderful soundtrack. Last but not least, our custodians and maintenance staff spent so much time putting up the walls, cleaning, and helping us set up for practice that, without them, Windsor Castle would not have ever happened.

Overall, Christmas at Windsor Castle was a phenomenal experience that I would recommend to any student at Windsor who is looking for a fun and rewarding experience.  It’s something that we can do as an entire school that pulls our small community a little closer together, especially at a time when some people might feel more distant than ever. I’m glad that I had such an awesome opportunity to play a small part in a staple of the Christmas season here at Windsor High School.