Do Teachers Think They Can Act?

The 2016 teacher play was a success.

Tom+Ford%2C+the+lead+actor+in+the+teacher+play%2C+practices++for+the+play+with+Anthony+Bringaze.+

Trent Deevers

Tom Ford, the lead actor in the teacher play, practices for the play with Anthony Bringaze.

Alex Crump and Madison New

Dancing sheep, teacher’s acting and marriage. There was only one place to find all three of these things and more on October 13 and 14. The Windsor High School auditorium was home to this year’s teacher play–a rendition of the Shakespearean comedy “As You Like It”. For students used to seeing their teachers standing at the head of the classroom or behind a desk, the show was definitely a surprise.

Not only did the teachers and students at Windsor High School perform “As You Like It” for entertainment purposes, they did it to help raise money for a cause.  They’re helping to build a Shakespeare outreach in Jefferson County. This helps build a community for Shakespeare enthusiasts.

“I am really pleased with everyone willing to give their time and just to be brave enough to stand up there to embarrass yourself and memorize your lines,” teacher Tom Ford said.

In the play, Chemistry teacher John Darmody played the cruel brother to Tom Ford’s character, and after getting into a testy argument, the two almost immediately began to wrestle on stage, and with one thing leading to the other, Darmody ended up in a headlock. Tom Ford, however, accidentally injured Darmody’s shoulder during the debut performance. Luckily, however, Darmody was not seriously hurt. Darmody was not the only person Ford wrestled in the show, though.

Senior Thomas Decker, who played the part of Charles the Wrestler, also wrestled Ford. Kelly Stockwell played the lead female role in the play as Rosalind, Michael Sellman was the jester Touchstone and Whitney Crabtree was Celia.

“It was definitely one of the best experiences of my high school acting career, getting to bond with all the teachers,” Decker said about the play. “Even getting thrown off the stage was a great time. Everyone is amazed because it looks so real, and that’s because it is real. I was actually throwing my body off the stage every night of the show.”

Director Elaine Geimer, who organized every practice and cast every character, made sure the show came together. The director of a play is rarely ever seen on stage, but they often put in the most time and effort.

If students and staff enjoyed this year’s teacher play and are looking forward to the next one, make sure to come back in two years to see Windsor’s faculty wear the medieval garb and tumble and sword fight each other once again.

“I think this play was for a good cause and also I get to work with teachers that I usually don’t see throughout the day. It’s a cool experience and no other school’s do this, which is pretty cool,” Stockwell said.